Golden Milk is an ancient Ayurvedic drink made using turmeric and milk – and it’s one of the best ways I know to incorporate turmeric into one’s daily diet. Turmeric is known to have so many health benefits due to curcumin, a powerful polyphenol antioxidant that also gives turmeric its beautiful golden colour. Drinking it just before bed is a wonderful way to relax and helps boost the immune system while sleeping or you may prefer to enjoy it first thing in the morning or even drink it in place of coffee.
SO why is it so good for us?
Turmeric has been widely studied for its health benefits which are listed as being an :
- aids in digestion
- blood purifier
- clears the skin
- Aids Memory and brain function
Adding black pepper to turmeric enhances it’s effect by 1000 times due to black pepper’s hot property pipervine – so you can actually increase your body’s absorption of turmeric by 2000%!
Here’s how to make it.
- 2 cups of milk or
- coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon raw honey or maple syrup or to taste
- Pinch of black pepper (increases absorption)
- Tiny piece of fresh, peeled ginger root or ¼ tsp ginger powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
1. Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth.
2. Pour into a small sauce pan and heat for 3-5 minutes over medium heat until hot but not
3. Drink immediately